What is it
It is simply a fabric backed surface material with plastic blades of grass with rubber or a rubber-sand mixture placed on top the fabric backing to support the blades.
Is it different than Astroturf
The Astroturf from the 60's to the 90's was a carpet type material that had no infill which did not give any support or cushion to the players.
Many years ago I was able to visit several stadiums have the turf installed. As a result I was able to get a good grasp of what happens with infill turf. Here is a simplified diagram of how the turf is installed.
- A - Cement edge barrier
- B - Turf anchor board
- C - Undisturbed ground
- D - Twelve inch flat drain tile
- E - Six inch round drain tile
- F - Four inch of large stone on top of Geotextile
- G - Two inch of fine stone gravel
- H - Optional rubberized layer
- I - Turf backing material
- J - Sewn or glued seams
- K - Tuffted field lines
- L - Plastic blades with rubber or hybrid infill